Saturday, July 25, 2009

The Mountain Goats, They Mock Me

Matt and I are spending a three day weekend on the Olympic Peninsula to celebrate his birthday. Today we hiked Mount Ellinor. It was *spectacular*. I say that about a lot of hikes, but really, this was far more spectacular than any of my favorite hikes in Oregon. I'll have a hard time proving it though, because I LEFT MY CAMERA AT THE CONDO WE'RE RENTING.

AND I'M CONVINCED THE GOATS KNEW.

Matt and I heaved our way up Mount Ellinor and enjoyed *amazing* views. Then as we were just making it to the top, a mama goat and her fuzzy twin babies scrambled up onto a rocky prominence and looked right at us. The rocky prominence was small so they were all standing super close together. There was a georgeous mountain range behind them, and wild flowers nearby. And they just hung out there for a bit watching us. IT WAS AS IF THEY WERE POSING. If I'd had my camera--I could have taken *many* photos. Maybe even a hundred photos. But I did not have my camera, so I did not take many photos.

Later, as we were descending, a daddy goat with big ol' horns scrambled up onto a different rocky prominence and looked right at us. Directly behind him was a nearly vertical grassy meadow that was green as an emerald--actually greener than an emerald--it was so green it was almost a whole other color--a color no one has ever seen before except me, today, without my camera. He too posed for a good long time before leaving.

Obviously word got out that I didn't have my camera. The goats all got together and agreed to pose magestically, starting with Gertrude and her cute new fuzzy twins, just to torture me. I hope they at least got a few good giggles out of the whole thing.

Side note: I did actually have a craptastic disposable camera with me--I have no idea though if I got anything good because the photos have to be developed before I can look at them--like in the olden days. I'm not holding my breath though, because it was a *disposable* camera. Yeesh.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Hoping the craptastic camera got something pretty good - please post when you get pix.