Saturday, September 19, 2009

Evidence Suggesting that Canadians Might be Superior to Americans

Matt and I recently spent a three day weekend in Victoria, BC. (To celebrate our first anniversary!) The charms of Canada are relatively new to me, and so far I'm, well, charmed. During our short visit to Canada I repeatedly found reasons to believe that the average Canadian just might be cooler than the average American.

Below is some evidence collected from our three day weekend:


1) Polite signage was rampant:


When was the last time you saw the word "sorry" on a sign in the U.S.?




I love that this sign not only includes the word "please", but also starts with "DIVERS WELCOME".




This sign was at Butchart Gardens. It was clear that dogs were expected to be kept on leash, but the subject was handled politely, and with a bit of humor.



2) The public is treated as if they posses the capacity to make reasonable judgements:

In the U.S. the public is not encouraged to walk along manmade objects with big drop-offs. (What if someone falls off and sues!) Below is a photo of a pathway at Ogden Point. There was a sign at the beginning warning people not to walk on the pathway at night or during storms, but that was it. I felt a little like I was living on the edge (so to speak), since there weren't any hideous tall fences to save me from myself:




3) This fountain alone would be enough to convince me that the average Canadian is cooler than the average American:

It's a fountain depicting a slobbering pig.



Let's take a closer look:



If you look closely, you can see the pig's teeth.

And, you can see SLOBBER!

2 comments:

Mom said...

Darn - excellent evidence - but then there was the pig :0)

spaceranger said...

Matt's dad had almost exactly the same reaction to the slobbering pig. I'm telling you all--the slobbering pig is *awesome*.