Sunday, September 12, 2010

Click

I read an article recently about happiness, and the author recommended taking mental snapshots of happy moments to flip through mentally at a later date. I kind of rolled my eyes a little when I read it, but I sure did take a mental snapshot of a moment recently that I'm certain I'll look back on for years to come.

Recently Matt and I went to Vancouver BC and spent some time with Matt's parents. Matt's parents both grew up in/near Vancouver and met at University of British Columbia. Vancouver obviously is very familiar territory for them and so they showed us around. Our tour included gems like picnic spots Matt's parents frequented as children, the college campus where they met, and the hospital where Matt's dad was born. I love cheesy family trivia and so could not imagine a better tour of Vancouver than the one they provided.

On our last night in Vancouver Matt's parents had left and so Matt and I were on our own. A couple of days before arriving in Vancouver I had sprained my ankle and I was pretty sore from all of the walking we had done so I asked Matt if he would go out to find us some food while I lounged around in our room with my feet up. He happily obliged. He came back with some *excellent* Indian food--a favorite for both of us. We had a cozy little table and chair setup in our room right next to gigantic windows that offered an amazing view of Vancouver with the bay in the background. Our room was on the 32nd floor, so we actually had birds soaring below us as we looked out over the city. Directly across the street from us was the hospital where Matt's dad was born. As we ate the sun set and the city lights came on. Throughout dinner our teeny tiny baby girl was kicking me in the gut from the inside with all her teeny tiny fetal might. I felt connected to, and love for Matt, his family and our baby girl. It was kind of a perfect moment and I thought "Oh oh, I should take a snapshot of this without my camera". And so I did.

2 comments:

Mom said...

AWESOME!!!!

Matt's dad said...

Ed said...
Awesome about says it all or, perhaps, double awesome.